I hope that this long-awaited post (well, by me, anyhow…) finds you all well!
It seems that these “Hi there, I’m sorry for being away. I promise I’ll try better next time” posts come way too often. But this time I am so sure that I mean it. I’ve got a whole lot planned for this blog, including more of you know *and hopefully love ;)* (Favourites, Hauls, Giveaways, Beauty Buzzes, Reviews and Tags), as well as new additions (Outfit of the Day, Face of the Day, Wish Lists, Pinterest Board Show-offs and Tutorials).
Soooo, please sit back, subscribe/follow and enjoy!
And of course, if you have any suggestions, ideas or comments, please feel free to email or ask.
'Til next time (tomorrow!!!),
It’s been a while since I’ve done a haul, so when my SLEEK package came in the mail, I knew I’d just have to share it with you all.
I recently took advantage of Sleek Makeup’s FREE SHIPPING WITH $US50 SPEND offer and splurged on a bunch of items I’ve been eyeing off for a while now.
So, without any further ado, here are the newest additions to my make up collection!
- Sleek i-Divine Ultra Mattes v2 Darks Eye Shadow Palette (731)
- Sleek i-Divine Oh So Special Eye Shadow Palette (658)
- Sleek i-Divine Bad Girl Eye Shadow Palette (596)
- Sleek i-Divine Storm Eye Shadow Palette (578)
- Sleek i-Divine The Primer Palette (600)
- Sleek Glitter Eyeliner Ice (270)
1. Sleek i-Divine Ultra Mattes v2 Darks Eye Shadow Palette (731)
I’ve been in the market for an all-matte eyeshadow palette for a while now, and so when I saw this online, it was a no-brainer purchase. This palette has super pigmented, super matte, super wearable shades, from highlighter shades like “Dune,” to everyday neutrals like “Paper Bag” and “Villian,” to navies like “Orbit,” “Ink” and “Highness.”
2. Sleek i-Divine Oh So Special Eye Shadow Palette (658)
If you are looking for a good day-to-night palette, Sleek’s Oh So Special palette is just for you. This palette features a gorgeous mix of matte and shimmery shades, from browns (“Boxed”, “Wrapped Up”) and beiges (“Bow,” “The Mail”) to a shimmery grey (“Glitz,”), bronze (“Gift Basket”) and plum (“Celebrate”).
3. Sleek i-Divine Bad Girl Eye Shadow Palette (596)
This is the absolute perfect night-out palette. With nine (out of twelve) shimmery shades in various shades of grey (“Blade,” “Gun Metal”), purple (“Obnoxious”), blue (“Abyss”) and green (“Intoxicated,” “Envy”). and a couple of matte shades (“Nior,” “Rebel”, “Abyss”), any fan of the sexy smoky eye will love this.
4. Sleek i-Divine Storm Eye Shadow Palette (578)
The Storm palette is possibly one of the more popular palettes in the i-Divine collection because of its versatility. Like the Oh So Special palette, this one has a good balance of matte and shimmery shades, however the Storm palette has more varied shades, with beiges, coppers, browns and the staple black. Of all the palettes that I purchased, this is the only one without a labelled name for each shade.
5. Sleek i-Divine The Primer Palette
To be honest, I purchased this item more out of intrigue than anything else. In the past, I have relied on my Too Faced Primer potion, a concealer or cream eyeshadow to prime my eyelids, but from now on I will have a primer to match any eyeshadow I decide to use in my arsenal. This is definitely a purchase that I will be keeping an eye on.
6. Sleek Glitter Eyeliner Ice (270)
As you can see, this Sleek purchase has been heavily focused on eye shadows, but I couldn’t resist this slightly different buy. Glitter eyeliners are a bit of a novelty, and I haven’t personally found one that has the “right” consistency, picks up enough glitter, doesn’t dry out… etc. While I trust Sleek 100% with my eye shadow purchases as I already own a palette that I am completely in love with, I have not tried any of their other eye makeup range, so I am very interested to see how this one works out for me.
Well, there you have it… the reason why I have no excuse to go out and purchase more eye shadows for at least another two years! Luckily I do have a handful of events that I will be looking to utilize my new-found purchases at, and I may post up some pictures of these very soon, so stay tuned!
'Til next time,
Hello lovelies, and hello 2014!
Well, we’re just about two weeks into the new year, which means that the memory of my Christmas and New Years’ break is now far away in my past, and now it’s all about focusing on getting through the rest of this year, resolutions intact!
Now, I’ve got to admit, I’ve never been one for making New Years Resolutions or predictions. I’ve always been more for making spontaneous decisions and taking things as they come. But this year, I have decided to make a handful of resolutions – ones that are relevant and that will improve my life in some way, yet realistic and achievable at the same time. And I am posting them here to make sure that I am held accountable for these resolutions!
1. Get fit.
Whenever I mention that one of my resolutions is to get to the gym and go on regular runs, the reaction is almost always “WHY?! You’re already so skinny.” *Sigh.* It’s true that I am blessed with being naturally slim – and don’t get me wrong, I love being able to eat whatever I like, whenever I like and however much I like without worrying about my weight, but the truth is that I’m unfit as anything. I am quite often reminded of this whenever I need to make a journey up the stairs on a multi-level carpark, have to chase after my puppy or keep up with my best friend, whose normal walk seems to be at a power-walk pace. So I resolve to not only go to the gym at least once a week (to begin with, and escalating to three times by the end of the year), but to also go on a daily walk/ jog/ run (depending on whether or not I need to take my puppy out with me). And also to continue to park my car further away from the office than necessary.
2.De-clutter. And stay de-cluttered.
I’ll be the first to admit that I have a bit of a problem. A problem whereby I find it difficult to throw away things that have any ounce of sentimental value to me. As a result, I have things – clothes, shoes, bags, books, makeup, earrings, necklaces, nail polishes, perfumes… the list goes on… that have been sitting around in my room, barely touched for years. I resolve to have a complete clear out of my room, with things that I haven’t used, worn or touched thrown out. And to reward myself with purchasing brand new furniture.
3. Spend less.
An ultimate goal of mine is to own my first property by the time I am 25. This is considered the “great Australian dream,” but unfortunately it is not a reality for many people, due to the rate at which everything – including rent and house prices and also the cost of simply living – is increasing. While owning my own home is not going to be achieved in this year (I am leaving this for a 2015 New Years Resolution), I am resolving to save AT LEAST 65% of my total income to put towards the house. This means that after my monthly, unavoidable expenses (phone bill, gym membership, car repayment, etc), I should be left with just over $100 per week or $400 per month to spend on anything else I’d like – whether that be food, a night out, shopping… etc. While it may mean that from now on I’ll have to take more packed lunches to work, that I can’t buy a new pair of shoes every week (*sob!*), be more careful not to receive parking fines and that I’ll have to avoid “just checking” the online sales to curb the online shopping addiction, I will feel so proud of myself when my bank account hits the magic number by the end of the year.
4. Clear the skin.
And finally, a beauty-related resolution. My skin has forever been stuck in the adolescent years of my life. Even now, at 23, I suffer from embarrassing breakouts and unpredictable skin. While my foundation routine hides the worst of it, foundation and concealer are only temporary remedies for the situation. This year, I resolve to do what is best for my skin – eat well, drink much more water (and much less soft drinks and alcohol), cleanse and moisturize every morning and night, have the occasional make-up free day, deep-clean the make up brushes once a week and the kicker (the one I’m definitely going to struggle most with!) – remove my makeup COMPLETELY every night before bed. I am yet to find a skin care regimen that works for me, so if you do have any product recommendations for combination skin that is prone to break-outs, please do let me know!
So, that’s it for my resolutions! Have you made any resolutions this year, and how are you going about keeping them so far? Please share your resolution stories with me - I’m very keen to hear them!
‘Til next time!
Another year over, another year wiser… or so they say!
I have to say – 2013 was a great year to me. I travelled the world, shared some memorable meals, partied so hard it hurt, made some “Eureka!” worthy discoveries, ventured into the world of full time work, grew my make up collection, and most importantly shared all of these experiences with new and old friends.
The New Year is always filled with a bit of nostalgia for everybody, and for me it is no different. So let me take you through my year in a series of my favourite pictures from 2013.
1. I kick-started the New Year off in Switzerland. One of the biggest highlights is surely skiing in Saas-Fee. 2. Unfortunately my two month European adventure had to come to an end. Au revior, Geneva, Switzerland! I’ll be back… 3. After spending the past two months in freezing Europe, it was nice to be lounging in front of the pool at the Sutera Harbour Resort (Kota Kinabalu), Malaysia. 4. My travel buddy, Anna, and I shopped up a spree at the Pavillion Shopping Mall (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia. 5. After three months overseas, it was time to go back home! 6. Unpacking all of the goodies that I collected while I was overseas turned out to be a bit of a headache…
7. The first point of call after I arrived home was a Girls’ Night Out ft. this amazing Nutella & banana pizza! 8. We discovered the joys of making our own pasta from scratch… yummy! 9. I enjoyed what was left of the hot weather with a trip down to Chelsea Beach (Melbourne). 10. My best friend, Nat, and I spent Valentines Day together ft. mixed drinks, heart-shaped ice cubes and 500 Days of Summer. 11. Manchester United won their 20th league title. I celebrated. Sir Alex Ferguson retired. I shed a tear. 12. I finally wrapped up my 4 years of university, graduating with a Bachelor of Business, majoring in Marketing & Banking and Finance.
13. My friend Ming’s birthday celebration was one of the best nights of the year, featuring Karaoke and CQ. 14. I received a pair of tickets to attend the mens’ semi-finals of Wimbledon in England. Unfortunately I could not go, so I gave my tickets to my best friend, Nat. 15. I farewelled Nat, who left on her second European adventure within 6 months - she was going to be studying in London for a few months. Because we forgot to attach our padlock on the lovelock bridge in Paris, I gave her a padlock to attach when she re-visited the beautiful city. 16. One of my favourite weekends from 2013 was visiting Sydney with my brother. Even in the middle of winter, the weather was wonderful! 17. The reason for our Sydney trip was to see Manchester United, led by the new manager David Moyes thrash the A-League All-Stars 5-1 at the ANZ Stadium. We also met Paddy Crerand. 18. Aside from the sport and slight tans, we came away from Sydney with the famous Zumbarons. Yum!
19. My favourite purchase of the year was by far my Michael Kors handbag (tan) pictured here with Nat’s matching black one! 20. I’d only been working at my first full-time job for about a month when I received these gorgeous flowers and even a phonecall from our CEO to wish me happy birthday. 21. I attended the Chinese Association Ball as part of a work ball. My hair looked good so I felt like I just had to snap a selfie! 22. We had a new addition to our family - Jackie, our new Maltese x Shih Tzu puppy. He settled in very, very quickly! 23. I got dressed up again for another great work function. Our property management team was recognized as the #2 team in the entire company, and Timbomatic performed for us. It was a night to remember. 24. Our entire office shut down for a day trip involving a party bus, unlimited alcohol, three wineries and a chocolaterie.
25. I lost count of how many times this year I decided to have a quiet night in, deciding to play around with my make-up instead! 26. The Christmas parties continued. I was very impressed with the dinner and dessert I had at Korean restaurant Guhng (Melbourne). 27. I spent Christmas day with my family, and taking selfies with Jackie.
I have to say that 2013 was very kind to me, and I am forever grateful for the friends I’ve met, memories that I’ve created and all of the new things that I’ve learnt.
As sad as I am about 2013 leaving, I am just as excited for 2014 and for the things that I can’t wait to achieve. Believe it or not, this year is the first year that I have ever actually made New Years’ Resolutions, and I can’t wait to share them - beauty related and otherwise - with you in my next post, which will drop next week!
'Til next time!
Ps. For more pictures, please follow me on my personal instagram: @mjmcha11.
The period just before Christmas Day is one that is filled with congested shopping centres, elusive car parking spaces, meticulous planning, stressful last minute shopping, and frantic cooking– ironic, as Christmas Day itself is usually a day of quiet relaxation spent with family and our closest friends.
The period just after Christmas is very similar, with one of my highlights of every year – Boxing Day sales. After four years in retail, including three Boxing Days, I’ve given up on actually shopping on the day itself, but from experience know that the days preceding are almost just as good, with plenty of discounts and significantly less crazy people and cranky sales assistants.
So what did I get for myself?
1. Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography
Just in case you were unaware, I am a BIG football fan. More specifically, I am a massive Manchester United fan. This purchase was a bit of a no-brainer for me. Sir Alex Ferguson is and always will be one of the largest and most influential personalities in not only British and Premier League history, but football and sport in general. I really can’t wait to get into this. Dymocks, Glen Waverley. RRP: $39.00.
2. Miss Shop “Hayley” Sandals
If there were a Most-Comfy-Shoes-That-Are-Not-Crocks awards, these would be a sure contender. These wedges are not only super lightweight, but easily dressed up or down, perfect for various day-to-night looks. This purchase was a no-brainer. Myer, Chadstone. RRP: $49.95, Sale Price: $29.00.
3. Kookai “Valley” Mini Dress (Blue) & “Grid” Dress (White)
Kookai is my absolute go-to for gorgeous on-trend dresses. I found these two bargains that I really couldn’t resist. Not only are they perfect for a night out in town, but the quality is actually tangible too – the cotton is the perfect balance of thick, soft and elastic-y. Either one or the other will definitely be utilized on New Years Eve. Kookai, Chadstone. Valley Mini Dress; RRP: $70.00, Sale Price: $35.00. Grid Dress; RRP: $80.00, Sale Price: $40.00.
4. Zara Clutch Purse
This possibly has to be my favourite Boxing Day fashion purchase. This beautiful hard-case clutch has nude leather, peach and coral panelling and a delicate gold chain that makes it such a versatile item. It’s the perfect clutch size – not too big and chunky, yet large enough to fit all of the essentials for a night out. Zara, Chadstone. RRP: $69.95, Sale Price: $49.95.
5. Zara Stiletto Heels
I’ve got to admit that I’m not a huge fan of pointed-toe heel trend that seems to be rife at the moment – there’s just something about the way that they sit on my feet that puts me off them. Perhaps it’s the all-too prevalent toe cleavage, the fact that they just look mighty dangerous, or make my feet look bigger than they actually are… or a combination of all of those reasons. But when I tried these on, I really couldn’t resist. I am a massive fan of colour block, and the nude and magenta combination. Plus, the pointed toe isn’t over-bearing either. Zara, Chadstone. RRP: $69.95, Sale Price $39.95.
6. Sigma Mrs. Bunny Essential Brush Kit
So this wasn’t exactly a post-Christmas sale item because I had purchased them earlier, however they literally arrived at my door a couple of hours ago, so I decided that I should definitely have these included in this blog post! I am mega excited for this purchase, as I do swear by Sigma products (I have made two purchases from them prior to this one). I am not going to spend copious amounts of time dwelling on this purchase, as I have planned an upcoming review on these in January – so keep checking back for those. I will say that I love the pretty baby blue handles on these brushes, though! Sigma Beauty, Online. RRP: $US155.00.
I’d love to hear all about your post-Christmas shopping expeditions and acquisitions – if you have blogged about it, please feel free to link it to me in the comments section!
I have loads planned for me and my blog in the next few days, so stay tuned!
‘Till next time,
No you’re not just seeing things… Yes, this is an actual blog post from me!
Apologies for the especially long hiatus over the past couple of months. After my last post (“Brand New Beginnings”), and considering all of the things that happened in the lead-up to me writing that post, I decided that I needed to get my shit together and worry about things other than what I’m going to blog about next. During that time I’ve done a bit of reflection and soul searching (sounds cheesier than it actually was!), and fastforward a couple of months and voila! I’m back here to blog for you all. So THANK YOU sticking with me – it means a whole lot that you’re all still here.
In actual fact, I have been toying with the idea of jumping back into the blogosphere for a while, so I do have quite a number of posts planned for this busy New Year period, the first of which is due in just a couple of hours… so bear with me and enjoy the ride!
‘Til next time (a couple of hours from now!),
It’s been a while since I’ve done a post that’s been a little more personal, so I thought I would, considering the things that are going on in my life right now.
New beginnings are exciting - it’s all about jumping into something brand new, with the hope that you’ll find yourself fulfilled in a way you weren’t previously, discover something new about yourself, or surrounded with people who will hopefully enlighten and inspire you. However, new beginnings often come the end of something as well. Often these ends are ultimately for the better - but that always make it an easier pill to swallow.
As you might have noticed, I have been a bit quiet on the blogging front these past week, and that’s because the past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions, with some amazing highs and deep lows both being experienced within the course of just a few days.
If you’ve followed me for a while, or know me at all, you might know that for the past few months, I’ve been in this weird “job transition” limbo. After graduating uni, I struggled to find my place in the world, due to a tough and extremely cut-throat job market in both marketing and finance sectors. One person that supported me through all of this was was a guy I have been seeing a lot of over the past 6 or so months. Not only did I meet him around about the time that this limbo period began, but he supported and encouraged me while I was undertaking the arduous task of writing and submitting applications, and going to a handful of interviews, some of which went much better than others. Though he was working particularly awful hours (often arriving home at 9:30 at night), he always made time for a text message throughout the day, or a long phone call before bed if he couldn’t physically be there for me.
I don’t trust people all too easily, but over time I was able to do so, and we began developing feelings for one another.
The main reason for us not jumping into an ‘official’ relationship was the fact that he is English, and that his two-year visa in Australia was due to run out at the end of August. Though he had a stable job at a “Big 4” Australian bank (that unfortunately has a no-sponsorship policy), a lease, and all of his friends now reside in Australia, there was no way he could stay for good, but decided that he would try to leave for just a little while and return on a holiday visa, which would give us another 3 months together to decide what to do next.
Unfortunately this was not to be, as his visa was rejected, and he was left in a foreign country with only half of his belongings, no option but to return home to England, and without having said our proper goodbyes to one another. Perhaps it was naive to believe that we had another three months together, but since his friend had received a holiday visa by doing a similar thing, we thought that we would be in the all clear.
So now, here I am, a few days after he frantically rang me with the awful news. To say I am completely fine would be a lie - as much as I told myself to keep guarded, I honestly don’t think it’s possible to speak to someone every day and see somebody every other day for six months and not develop real feelings for them.
Before he left, he told me that I would definitely find a job I was happy with before he returned, and to make sure that I asked to start my first day on Tuesday, as he had something planned for me the day after he returned on the Monday. Ironically, in the cruelest way, this DID happen - I found a full-time job with a great firm that I am looking forward to begin at, and arranged to begin on the Tuesday. But instead of enjoying the start of Spring with him with a picnic by the beach, I’m here at home coming to terms with everything that’s happened in the past week, and wondering how I’m going to begin a new chapter of my life if I’m still hung up on the “what ifs” left behind by a previous one.
Thankfully, I have a troupe of amazing friends and family that have given me plenty of support over the past few days. Though it won’t be easy at first, and I don’t have a clue what the future holds, I can take comfort in knowing that even though my heart may not be embracing these new beginnings, I can do some things to at least try to help pick myself up from a rut.
These are the things that help me. If you have any further suggestions, please let me know - I’m definitely looking for more ways to help me cope (healthily, of course!)
- Get a makeover: do something different that will make your friends - and most importantly yourself! - go WOW! If you’re feeling brave, dye your hair or get a dramatic hair cut. If you’re not, go to your salon and get your regrowth done, get a trim, and get your nails done - a little bit of TLC goes a long way!
- Indulge yourself: treat yourself. Do what makes you feel good - whether it be booking yourself in for a spa and massage or facial, doing some comfort shopping or buying yourself a pint of icecream. This is your time to have some “me time,” so make the most of it; make yourself feel special.
- Make a healthy resolution: less like a New Year’s resolution, more like a New You resolution. Start small. Commit to an evening walk or jog a day, or promise yourself that you’ll bring healthy packed lunches to work instead of running out for takeaway every afternoon.
- Clean out the old stuff: literally have a spring clean this spring! Whether it’s just clearing out your bedroom of all of the things that remind you of a bad breakup, or just giving your car a good wash and vacuum, you’ll be surprised at what a face lift to your everyday environment can do to your attitude!
- Be accountable: tell your BFF about the commitments that you have made to yourself, and give him or her permission to give you a (figurative!) swift kick up the backside if you backslide - you’ll be thankful for it later if you do!
This is NOT a step-by-step guide on “How to Deal with New Beginnings” - I’m not naive enough to think that following these instructions will magically make go back to as happy as I was a couple of weeks ago, but I do believe that we can influence our own happiness, and if our heart doesn’t feel it at first, we can at least trick our minds into being excited about a new era in our lives - and hopefully our hearts will soon follow!
'Till next time!
It’s my favourite time of the month again - unboxing time! For whatever reason, all of my subscription boxes seem to arrive at the same time, which is great in some ways, because of all my new goodies, however it can be difficult to find time to write one before the next arrives! So please keep an eye out for my next Wantable Unboxing post that will be dropping in the next couple of days!
Okay, so on we go to the box! The August 2013 Violet Box contains:
- Jelly Pong Pong 2-in-1 Eyeshadow & Liner
- Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush
- Dr Bragi Age Management Moisturiser
- ghd Style Heat Protection Spray
- Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Cream Shampoo & Anti-breakage Conditioner
Past Violet Boxes have contained 6 items plus discount vouchers. But whilst this one had less item, this one did contain 3 full-sized items, which still makes it an excellent value box.
1. Jelly Pong Pong 2-in-1 Eyeshadow & Liner (Bronze)
I am a big fan of multi-use, functional product, and so I was very excited to see that this item was included in the box. I am not so familiar with this brand (made in Italy, but I presume that this was one of the two products from the UK that delayed the shipping of the boxes by a couple of days), but the point of these boxes is to discover new brands, so I’m excited to test this out! I received a very wearable bronze shade, which makes me very happy because not only is it very me, but I missed out on receiving the Maybelline Colour Tattoo eyeshadow pot in Bad to the Bronze from Priceline’s 50% off sale, which made me super upset (I may post about this later)!
2. Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush (Cranberry)
Lips products seem to be where we have the most choice nowadays. Not only do we have the “traditional” lip sticks, but also lip glosses, lip balms, lip liners, lip lacquers, lip butters, tinted lip balms, and now lip crayons - or as Jelly Pong Pong likes to refer to it - lip blush. The most famous lip crayon of the lot would probably be Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, and as with most things, it doesn’t take long for many other brands to come up with their own versions of it. Jelly Pong Pong’s take looks great, though I believe the packaging is significantly flimsier than the Chubby Stick. On the plus side, the crayon seems pigmented enough without being completely unforgiving for klutzes like myself who can’t seem to colour between the lines!
3. Dr Bragi Age Management Moisturizer
Each month, Violet Box seems to include at least one token anti-aging product. This month, it’s the Age Management Moisturiser by Dr Bragi - a brand that I am not familiar with at all. A llittle research has shown me that the Dr Bragi products contain NO artificial preservatives, parabens, perfumes, silicones, glycols, dyes, lipids or lanolin - all common additives that have scientifically shown do not benefit the skin in any way by being there. If I don’t find the time to test this out, it will be going to my mum, who I am sure will appreciate it more than I can right now.
4. ghd Style Heat Protection Spray
What I love about Violet Box is that even though so far every product has been pretty great, there is always one “WOW” product. I think this is the one for this month. ghd is truly synonymous with presteige and excellent quality, so I am super excited to try out a product that I expect will be top quality. It’s a full sized product in a very luxe matte black packaging (very similar to Violet Box’s packaging, in fact!) , and we all know how packaging is very important to me!
5. Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Cream Shampoo & Anti-breakage Conditioner
Uh-oh, we all know how I feel about sachets! I’ll admit, I did raise an eyebrow when I saw this product. I just find sachets incredibly difficult to use, plus there usually isn’t enough in a package for me to attain whether or not I will purchase it based on a just one. Especially for haircare, as my hair is not only long but thick - there’s just so much of it! These are fairly big sachets, however, and obviously contain a very expensive products, plus Violet Box has definitely been extremely generous so far, so this can be forgiven! I just hope that there won’t be too many sachet-type samples in the future.
All in all, another excellent month from Violet Box. For me they are surely the “leaders” in sample boxes in terms of value for money and quality of product. If you’d like to subscribe to Violet Box, click here!
'Til next time!
Ps. The winner of my July Favourites Giveaway pack will be emailed later tonight… keep a lookout over your inboxes!
Pps. Click through to read about my June & July Unboxings!
Liebster (German), meaning a term of endearment, ie. darling, lovely, sweetheart, dear, beloved.
I have always been a fan of blogs - both reading and writing. In fact, I don’t think I have been without a blog (if only just to stalk!) since the good old Myspace and Xanga days. Back then, the blogs were more about the trials and tribulations of high school, sometimes involving secret code names that only my best friends knew how to decipher. Luckily my blogging style (and range of topics!) have evolved since then, and now I have a blog that I am totally proud of, and have even been privilaged enough to receive some recognition for. Thankyou to the absolutely lovely Kate from The Minted Beauty for the honour of being nominated for this award!
So what is this award, exactly? The Liebster Award is an award that recognises Up & Coming bloggers. It serves as a way to encourage new bloggers as well as allowing everyone to find out about more great blogs! To be eligible for a Liebster Award you must be have less than 200 followers. There are also a couple of guidelines to follow once you have been nominated. I believe rules change over time, but I am going by the ones specified on Kate’s post!
1. You have to link back to the person that nominated you.
2. You must answer the 11 Liebster questions given to you by the person who nominated you.
3. You have to nominate another 11 bloggers who have under 200 followers to pass the award to.
4. You have to come up with 11 other questions for your nominees.
5. You have to notify the bloggers whom you have nominated.
6. Some bloggers can also include 11 random facts about themselves, but this is optional.
Okay, so let’s get started: 11 Random Facts About Me!:
1. If I could have one superpower, it would be flight.
2. My ultimate celebrity crush is Chace Crawford.
3. I would go skydiving in a heartbeat, but you would have to pay me to do bungee jumping.
4. My 21st was “Classic Hollywood Glamour” themed.
5. My drink of choice is a Vodka Sunrise or Smirnoff Ice. Cocktail of choice, Sex on the Beach. If I’m trying to be a little classier, I can’t go past a Moscato. If I’m driving, I’ll have a coke, thanks…
6. I have worked in a jewellery store while studying, and I will often spend my money the store even before i’ve earnt it! In my time there, I’ve purchased four watches, a diamond ring, two pairs of diamond stud earrings, a a pair of pearl studs, gold chains, stirling silver chains, countless pairs of gold earrings, and countless pairs of stirling silver earrings… and this doesn’t count the items I’ve bought for my friends’ and family’s birthdays!
7. I am currently on level 380 of Candy Crush.
8. Because of my online shopping addiction, I am currently stalking my postie… I am awaiting a Sleek Makeup order as well as my Violet Box and Wantable orders!
9. If I could revisit any moment of my life, it would be earlier this year when I went skiing in the Swiss Alps.
10. I have the bad habit of sending emails and forgetting to attach the attachment that I promise I’d attach!
11. Keeping on the technology-theme: nothing makes me cringe more than Comic Sans. My Marketing Communications lecturer decided to distribute all the lecture notes in this font for the whole semester (unironically!!!). I didn’t attend a handful of these lectures out of protest (or so I like to say!).
My answers to The Minted Beauty’s questions…
1. What is your dream holiday destination? This is something I think about all the time, because I have a pretty bad case of the travel bug! My dream destination would probably be South America. I couldn’t pick just one place or country, but I would most like to visit Rio de Janeiro and Machu Picchu. I am a huge football fan, so would love to be there during the World Cup next year, but of course there is so much to see and do in Brazil and South America football aside, it is definitely next on my list whenever I am able to travel!
2. Which blogger do you admire most? This is a tough one. I read many blogs, and though I love so many, I probably would admire Australian bloggers like Jessica Stein of Tuula Vintage and Nicole Warne of Gary Pepper Girl.who are not only exciting bloggers, but they are beautiful, strong and intellegent women that have successfully made a living by doing what they love. They are probably two bloggers that I admire the most, for those reasons.
3. What is your ‘day job’? By day I am in property management, but I also work part time doing jewellery sales. You could say that I’m in a “transitional” stage in my career, but I obviously can’t be doing this 7-day working week thing for much longer!
4. What is your favourite dessert? I love anything sweet. I couldn’t pick just one, but it would have to be out of banana fritters or apple pie with vanilla ice cream, or crepes with srawberries, nutella and vanilla ice cream!
5. If you could time travel, where or when would you go? Because I’m a bit of a Jane Austen fanatic, I’d probably say to the Regency Era, to see if I can find my own Mr. Darcy!
6. Where do you see yourself in five years time? Ahhh, the question I always dread coming up at job interviews! In five years, hopefully I will still be enjoying my job, perhaps living in London, still loving writing for this blog, and have seen and experienced more of the world than I could ever dream of!
7. What was the worst trouble you ever got into at school for? My clearest memory of getting into trouble was continually talking and “distracting other students” in Primary School! I remember I was devastated, as I’d never gotten into trouble before this. I didn’t even end up going to the detention because I was too embarassed to stand in the “detention queue,” and for some reason I didn’t even get into trouble for it! I felt so guilty for the rest of the year, nervous every time the vice principal would visit our class room… but to this day, my parents have no idea I didn’t show up to my detention!
8. What is your favourite scent? The fragrance that I am absolutely obsessed with at the moment is Hollister’s Addison Eau de Parfum.(I wrote about it here). If you like fruity and floraly scents, you’ll really like this as well. If I had to pick a favourite non-fragrance scent, it would probably be fresh grapefruit.
9. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would wish to be a tad bit taller! I’m only about 5ft 4, which means a lot of tippy-toe-ing and stretching when somebody of average height sits or stands in front of me at a concert, movie or lecture!
10. What is one thing that’s non-essential that you never leave the house without (don’t include wallet, keys, etc)? Because I consider my phone pretty essential (couldn’t live without it! - partially because I require to be attached to my phone 24/7 for work, but more because I am obsessed with Candy Crush…) and because it runs out of battery before the end of the day, wherever my phone goes, my charger goes too! Otherwise I would say a pair of sunnies - a must for when I’m driving when it’s sunny - at the moment I’m rotating between a pair of Oscar de la Rentas and Cole Haans.
11. What skill would you love to learn? I would love to be able to speak fluent Chinese and/or French. Two totally different languages, I know! If I could speak fluent Mandarin or Cantonese (I can understand Cantonese and Hakka), it would make communicating to some of my family members, especially my grandparents, much easier. I would also love to be able to speak French - my cousins in Switzerland, who I love more than anything in the world are fluent in 5 languages including French, which is their go-to language when they have an arguement - I’d love to be able to understand what they’re gabbing on about!
My Liebster Award Nominations
In no particular order, these are 11 blogs that I’m really loving. They are all up & coming blogs, with under 200 followers on Bloglovin’ (I am aware that they are highly likely to have many more followers who are subscribed via Blogspot, Wordpress, Tumblr, etc. but this is the easiest, most streamlined way to guage how many followers they have) that have not (as far as I know!) been nominated for a Liebster Award.
My Questions for You!
1. What is your dream job?
2. Wholemeal, multigrain or white bread - and why?
3. Who was your first ever celebrity crush?
4. Empty out your purse and list its contents!
5. What TV shows are you following right now
6. If you had only one day left to live, what would you do
7. What is your cereal of choice
8. What is your favourite drugstore cosmetics brand and your favourite high-end cosmetics brand?
9. What is the best holiday you’ve ever been on?
10. Which actor would play you in a movie about your life?
11. If you were a boy for just one day, what would you do?
'Til next time!
Every once in a while, a product will drop into the hands of a high profile beauty blogger or a dozen, will capture their hearts and make them fall deeply and truly in love.
One product that is taking the beauty world by storm is the Purifying Micellar Solution by L’Oreal. I’ve heard this product being described as many things, including “magical" and "liquid gold”, and probably the most flattering of all, "a drugstore dupe of Bioderma’s Crealine H2O.”
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for about a year, you would know Bioderma is a product that basically the entire beauty world swears by. Unfortunately this French pharmaceutical product is not easy to come by in the majority of the world, nor is it the most hip-pocket friendly, at around $AU29.95 for 250mL.
Whilst Bioderma is only available in pharmacies, L’Oreal’s Purifying Micellar Solution, on the other hand, is far more readily available in the overseas drugstore world (in the UK, Europe), and at about £3.00 (approx. $AU5.00) for a 200mL bottle. And yes, it definitely works!
The Purifying Micellar Solution promises to:
1. Dissolve make-up. 2. Unclog pores and remove impurities. 3. Tone and soothe skin.
After using this product for the past week and a bit, I can safely say, YES, it does all of this, removing all eye makeup (including pesky waterproof mascara!) without the need of soaps/cleansers, dozens of cotton pads or makeup wipes, rinsing or rubbing! All that’s needed is two cotton wool pads (each split in two - one for each eye + two for my face), a little bit of normal water and this magic water. Place over the eye for just a few moments - don’t rub - just let it sit there, then watch your eye makeup dissolve right in front of your eyes (no pun intended!)!
This product is super soft, and suitable for people of all skin types, including for those with sensitive or irritable skin. Because it is so gentle and purifying, it can be used morning and night - in the morning to capture and draw out any excess oils, and at night as a makeup remover.
Of course I would definitely recommend cleansing and toning afterward - but this should be a given with every makeup remover product ever - including Bioderma - right?
So is the hype surrounding this product warranted? I do believe so. Some still swear by Bioderma, but place both in identical bottles, without labels, and I honestly would have no clue which is which. I have been using this product religiously ever since I got my hands on it (thank goodness that every second friend I have is travelling around Europe at the moment!), and I’m already worrying about what I’m going to do when it runs out… so L’Oreal - please, please, please release this in Australia!
Ps. I am aware this is one day late… but it’s still Wednesday somewhere in the world… right? (I had such a long day yesterday that I fell into a deep coma-like sleep as soon as I got home… sorry!
Pps. Don’t forget to enter the July Favourites giveaway!