It’s been a while since I’ve done a post that’s been a little more personal, so I thought I would, considering the things that are going on in my life right now.
New beginnings are exciting - it’s all about jumping into something brand new, with the hope that you’ll find yourself fulfilled in a way you weren’t previously, discover something new about yourself, or surrounded with people who will hopefully enlighten and inspire you. However, new beginnings often come the end of something as well. Often these ends are ultimately for the better - but that always make it an easier pill to swallow.
As you might have noticed, I have been a bit quiet on the blogging front these past week, and that’s because the past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions, with some amazing highs and deep lows both being experienced within the course of just a few days.
If you’ve followed me for a while, or know me at all, you might know that for the past few months, I’ve been in this weird “job transition” limbo. After graduating uni, I struggled to find my place in the world, due to a tough and extremely cut-throat job market in both marketing and finance sectors. One person that supported me through all of this was was a guy I have been seeing a lot of over the past 6 or so months. Not only did I meet him around about the time that this limbo period began, but he supported and encouraged me while I was undertaking the arduous task of writing and submitting applications, and going to a handful of interviews, some of which went much better than others. Though he was working particularly awful hours (often arriving home at 9:30 at night), he always made time for a text message throughout the day, or a long phone call before bed if he couldn’t physically be there for me.
I don’t trust people all too easily, but over time I was able to do so, and we began developing feelings for one another.
The main reason for us not jumping into an ‘official’ relationship was the fact that he is English, and that his two-year visa in Australia was due to run out at the end of August. Though he had a stable job at a “Big 4” Australian bank (that unfortunately has a no-sponsorship policy), a lease, and all of his friends now reside in Australia, there was no way he could stay for good, but decided that he would try to leave for just a little while and return on a holiday visa, which would give us another 3 months together to decide what to do next.
Unfortunately this was not to be, as his visa was rejected, and he was left in a foreign country with only half of his belongings, no option but to return home to England, and without having said our proper goodbyes to one another. Perhaps it was naive to believe that we had another three months together, but since his friend had received a holiday visa by doing a similar thing, we thought that we would be in the all clear.
So now, here I am, a few days after he frantically rang me with the awful news. To say I am completely fine would be a lie - as much as I told myself to keep guarded, I honestly don’t think it’s possible to speak to someone every day and see somebody every other day for six months and not develop real feelings for them.
Before he left, he told me that I would definitely find a job I was happy with before he returned, and to make sure that I asked to start my first day on Tuesday, as he had something planned for me the day after he returned on the Monday. Ironically, in the cruelest way, this DID happen - I found a full-time job with a great firm that I am looking forward to begin at, and arranged to begin on the Tuesday. But instead of enjoying the start of Spring with him with a picnic by the beach, I’m here at home coming to terms with everything that’s happened in the past week, and wondering how I’m going to begin a new chapter of my life if I’m still hung up on the “what ifs” left behind by a previous one.
Thankfully, I have a troupe of amazing friends and family that have given me plenty of support over the past few days. Though it won’t be easy at first, and I don’t have a clue what the future holds, I can take comfort in knowing that even though my heart may not be embracing these new beginnings, I can do some things to at least try to help pick myself up from a rut.
These are the things that help me. If you have any further suggestions, please let me know - I’m definitely looking for more ways to help me cope (healthily, of course!)
- Get a makeover: do something different that will make your friends - and most importantly yourself! - go WOW! If you’re feeling brave, dye your hair or get a dramatic hair cut. If you’re not, go to your salon and get your regrowth done, get a trim, and get your nails done - a little bit of TLC goes a long way!
- Indulge yourself: treat yourself. Do what makes you feel good - whether it be booking yourself in for a spa and massage or facial, doing some comfort shopping or buying yourself a pint of icecream. This is your time to have some “me time,” so make the most of it; make yourself feel special.
- Make a healthy resolution: less like a New Year’s resolution, more like a New You resolution. Start small. Commit to an evening walk or jog a day, or promise yourself that you’ll bring healthy packed lunches to work instead of running out for takeaway every afternoon.
- Clean out the old stuff: literally have a spring clean this spring! Whether it’s just clearing out your bedroom of all of the things that remind you of a bad breakup, or just giving your car a good wash and vacuum, you’ll be surprised at what a face lift to your everyday environment can do to your attitude!
- Be accountable: tell your BFF about the commitments that you have made to yourself, and give him or her permission to give you a (figurative!) swift kick up the backside if you backslide - you’ll be thankful for it later if you do!
This is NOT a step-by-step guide on “How to Deal with New Beginnings” - I’m not naive enough to think that following these instructions will magically make go back to as happy as I was a couple of weeks ago, but I do believe that we can influence our own happiness, and if our heart doesn’t feel it at first, we can at least trick our minds into being excited about a new era in our lives - and hopefully our hearts will soon follow!
'Till next time!
It’s my favourite time of the month again - unboxing time! For whatever reason, all of my subscription boxes seem to arrive at the same time, which is great in some ways, because of all my new goodies, however it can be difficult to find time to write one before the next arrives! So please keep an eye out for my next Wantable Unboxing post that will be dropping in the next couple of days!
Okay, so on we go to the box! The August 2013 Violet Box contains:
- Jelly Pong Pong 2-in-1 Eyeshadow & Liner
- Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush
- Dr Bragi Age Management Moisturiser
- ghd Style Heat Protection Spray
- Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Cream Shampoo & Anti-breakage Conditioner
Past Violet Boxes have contained 6 items plus discount vouchers. But whilst this one had less item, this one did contain 3 full-sized items, which still makes it an excellent value box.
1. Jelly Pong Pong 2-in-1 Eyeshadow & Liner (Bronze)
I am a big fan of multi-use, functional product, and so I was very excited to see that this item was included in the box. I am not so familiar with this brand (made in Italy, but I presume that this was one of the two products from the UK that delayed the shipping of the boxes by a couple of days), but the point of these boxes is to discover new brands, so I’m excited to test this out! I received a very wearable bronze shade, which makes me very happy because not only is it very me, but I missed out on receiving the Maybelline Colour Tattoo eyeshadow pot in Bad to the Bronze from Priceline’s 50% off sale, which made me super upset (I may post about this later)!
2. Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush (Cranberry)
Lips products seem to be where we have the most choice nowadays. Not only do we have the “traditional” lip sticks, but also lip glosses, lip balms, lip liners, lip lacquers, lip butters, tinted lip balms, and now lip crayons - or as Jelly Pong Pong likes to refer to it - lip blush. The most famous lip crayon of the lot would probably be Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, and as with most things, it doesn’t take long for many other brands to come up with their own versions of it. Jelly Pong Pong’s take looks great, though I believe the packaging is significantly flimsier than the Chubby Stick. On the plus side, the crayon seems pigmented enough without being completely unforgiving for klutzes like myself who can’t seem to colour between the lines!
3. Dr Bragi Age Management Moisturizer
Each month, Violet Box seems to include at least one token anti-aging product. This month, it’s the Age Management Moisturiser by Dr Bragi - a brand that I am not familiar with at all. A llittle research has shown me that the Dr Bragi products contain NO artificial preservatives, parabens, perfumes, silicones, glycols, dyes, lipids or lanolin - all common additives that have scientifically shown do not benefit the skin in any way by being there. If I don’t find the time to test this out, it will be going to my mum, who I am sure will appreciate it more than I can right now.
4. ghd Style Heat Protection Spray
What I love about Violet Box is that even though so far every product has been pretty great, there is always one “WOW” product. I think this is the one for this month. ghd is truly synonymous with presteige and excellent quality, so I am super excited to try out a product that I expect will be top quality. It’s a full sized product in a very luxe matte black packaging (very similar to Violet Box’s packaging, in fact!) , and we all know how packaging is very important to me!
5. Goldwell Dualsenses Rich Repair Cream Shampoo & Anti-breakage Conditioner
Uh-oh, we all know how I feel about sachets! I’ll admit, I did raise an eyebrow when I saw this product. I just find sachets incredibly difficult to use, plus there usually isn’t enough in a package for me to attain whether or not I will purchase it based on a just one. Especially for haircare, as my hair is not only long but thick - there’s just so much of it! These are fairly big sachets, however, and obviously contain a very expensive products, plus Violet Box has definitely been extremely generous so far, so this can be forgiven! I just hope that there won’t be too many sachet-type samples in the future.
All in all, another excellent month from Violet Box. For me they are surely the “leaders” in sample boxes in terms of value for money and quality of product. If you’d like to subscribe to Violet Box, click here!
'Til next time!
Ps. The winner of my July Favourites Giveaway pack will be emailed later tonight… keep a lookout over your inboxes!
Pps. Click through to read about my June & July Unboxings!
Liebster (German), meaning a term of endearment, ie. darling, lovely, sweetheart, dear, beloved.
I have always been a fan of blogs - both reading and writing. In fact, I don’t think I have been without a blog (if only just to stalk!) since the good old Myspace and Xanga days. Back then, the blogs were more about the trials and tribulations of high school, sometimes involving secret code names that only my best friends knew how to decipher. Luckily my blogging style (and range of topics!) have evolved since then, and now I have a blog that I am totally proud of, and have even been privilaged enough to receive some recognition for. Thankyou to the absolutely lovely Kate from The Minted Beauty for the honour of being nominated for this award!
So what is this award, exactly? The Liebster Award is an award that recognises Up & Coming bloggers. It serves as a way to encourage new bloggers as well as allowing everyone to find out about more great blogs! To be eligible for a Liebster Award you must be have less than 200 followers. There are also a couple of guidelines to follow once you have been nominated. I believe rules change over time, but I am going by the ones specified on Kate’s post!
1. You have to link back to the person that nominated you.
2. You must answer the 11 Liebster questions given to you by the person who nominated you.
3. You have to nominate another 11 bloggers who have under 200 followers to pass the award to.
4. You have to come up with 11 other questions for your nominees.
5. You have to notify the bloggers whom you have nominated.
6. Some bloggers can also include 11 random facts about themselves, but this is optional.
Okay, so let’s get started: 11 Random Facts About Me!:
1. If I could have one superpower, it would be flight.
2. My ultimate celebrity crush is Chace Crawford.
3. I would go skydiving in a heartbeat, but you would have to pay me to do bungee jumping.
4. My 21st was “Classic Hollywood Glamour” themed.
5. My drink of choice is a Vodka Sunrise or Smirnoff Ice. Cocktail of choice, Sex on the Beach. If I’m trying to be a little classier, I can’t go past a Moscato. If I’m driving, I’ll have a coke, thanks…
6. I have worked in a jewellery store while studying, and I will often spend my money the store even before i’ve earnt it! In my time there, I’ve purchased four watches, a diamond ring, two pairs of diamond stud earrings, a a pair of pearl studs, gold chains, stirling silver chains, countless pairs of gold earrings, and countless pairs of stirling silver earrings… and this doesn’t count the items I’ve bought for my friends’ and family’s birthdays!
7. I am currently on level 380 of Candy Crush.
8. Because of my online shopping addiction, I am currently stalking my postie… I am awaiting a Sleek Makeup order as well as my Violet Box and Wantable orders!
9. If I could revisit any moment of my life, it would be earlier this year when I went skiing in the Swiss Alps.
10. I have the bad habit of sending emails and forgetting to attach the attachment that I promise I’d attach!
11. Keeping on the technology-theme: nothing makes me cringe more than Comic Sans. My Marketing Communications lecturer decided to distribute all the lecture notes in this font for the whole semester (unironically!!!). I didn’t attend a handful of these lectures out of protest (or so I like to say!).
My answers to The Minted Beauty’s questions…
1. What is your dream holiday destination? This is something I think about all the time, because I have a pretty bad case of the travel bug! My dream destination would probably be South America. I couldn’t pick just one place or country, but I would most like to visit Rio de Janeiro and Machu Picchu. I am a huge football fan, so would love to be there during the World Cup next year, but of course there is so much to see and do in Brazil and South America football aside, it is definitely next on my list whenever I am able to travel!
2. Which blogger do you admire most? This is a tough one. I read many blogs, and though I love so many, I probably would admire Australian bloggers like Jessica Stein of Tuula Vintage and Nicole Warne of Gary Pepper Girl.who are not only exciting bloggers, but they are beautiful, strong and intellegent women that have successfully made a living by doing what they love. They are probably two bloggers that I admire the most, for those reasons.
3. What is your ‘day job’? By day I am in property management, but I also work part time doing jewellery sales. You could say that I’m in a “transitional” stage in my career, but I obviously can’t be doing this 7-day working week thing for much longer!
4. What is your favourite dessert? I love anything sweet. I couldn’t pick just one, but it would have to be out of banana fritters or apple pie with vanilla ice cream, or crepes with srawberries, nutella and vanilla ice cream!
5. If you could time travel, where or when would you go? Because I’m a bit of a Jane Austen fanatic, I’d probably say to the Regency Era, to see if I can find my own Mr. Darcy!
6. Where do you see yourself in five years time? Ahhh, the question I always dread coming up at job interviews! In five years, hopefully I will still be enjoying my job, perhaps living in London, still loving writing for this blog, and have seen and experienced more of the world than I could ever dream of!
7. What was the worst trouble you ever got into at school for? My clearest memory of getting into trouble was continually talking and “distracting other students” in Primary School! I remember I was devastated, as I’d never gotten into trouble before this. I didn’t even end up going to the detention because I was too embarassed to stand in the “detention queue,” and for some reason I didn’t even get into trouble for it! I felt so guilty for the rest of the year, nervous every time the vice principal would visit our class room… but to this day, my parents have no idea I didn’t show up to my detention!
8. What is your favourite scent? The fragrance that I am absolutely obsessed with at the moment is Hollister’s Addison Eau de Parfum.(I wrote about it here). If you like fruity and floraly scents, you’ll really like this as well. If I had to pick a favourite non-fragrance scent, it would probably be fresh grapefruit.
9. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would wish to be a tad bit taller! I’m only about 5ft 4, which means a lot of tippy-toe-ing and stretching when somebody of average height sits or stands in front of me at a concert, movie or lecture!
10. What is one thing that’s non-essential that you never leave the house without (don’t include wallet, keys, etc)? Because I consider my phone pretty essential (couldn’t live without it! - partially because I require to be attached to my phone 24/7 for work, but more because I am obsessed with Candy Crush…) and because it runs out of battery before the end of the day, wherever my phone goes, my charger goes too! Otherwise I would say a pair of sunnies - a must for when I’m driving when it’s sunny - at the moment I’m rotating between a pair of Oscar de la Rentas and Cole Haans.
11. What skill would you love to learn? I would love to be able to speak fluent Chinese and/or French. Two totally different languages, I know! If I could speak fluent Mandarin or Cantonese (I can understand Cantonese and Hakka), it would make communicating to some of my family members, especially my grandparents, much easier. I would also love to be able to speak French - my cousins in Switzerland, who I love more than anything in the world are fluent in 5 languages including French, which is their go-to language when they have an arguement - I’d love to be able to understand what they’re gabbing on about!
My Liebster Award Nominations
In no particular order, these are 11 blogs that I’m really loving. They are all up & coming blogs, with under 200 followers on Bloglovin’ (I am aware that they are highly likely to have many more followers who are subscribed via Blogspot, Wordpress, Tumblr, etc. but this is the easiest, most streamlined way to guage how many followers they have) that have not (as far as I know!) been nominated for a Liebster Award.
My Questions for You!
1. What is your dream job?
2. Wholemeal, multigrain or white bread - and why?
3. Who was your first ever celebrity crush?
4. Empty out your purse and list its contents!
5. What TV shows are you following right now
6. If you had only one day left to live, what would you do
7. What is your cereal of choice
8. What is your favourite drugstore cosmetics brand and your favourite high-end cosmetics brand?
9. What is the best holiday you’ve ever been on?
10. Which actor would play you in a movie about your life?
11. If you were a boy for just one day, what would you do?
'Til next time!
Every once in a while, a product will drop into the hands of a high profile beauty blogger or a dozen, will capture their hearts and make them fall deeply and truly in love.
One product that is taking the beauty world by storm is the Purifying Micellar Solution by L’Oreal. I’ve heard this product being described as many things, including “magical" and "liquid gold”, and probably the most flattering of all, "a drugstore dupe of Bioderma’s Crealine H2O.”
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for about a year, you would know Bioderma is a product that basically the entire beauty world swears by. Unfortunately this French pharmaceutical product is not easy to come by in the majority of the world, nor is it the most hip-pocket friendly, at around $AU29.95 for 250mL.
Whilst Bioderma is only available in pharmacies, L’Oreal’s Purifying Micellar Solution, on the other hand, is far more readily available in the overseas drugstore world (in the UK, Europe), and at about £3.00 (approx. $AU5.00) for a 200mL bottle. And yes, it definitely works!
The Purifying Micellar Solution promises to:
1. Dissolve make-up. 2. Unclog pores and remove impurities. 3. Tone and soothe skin.
After using this product for the past week and a bit, I can safely say, YES, it does all of this, removing all eye makeup (including pesky waterproof mascara!) without the need of soaps/cleansers, dozens of cotton pads or makeup wipes, rinsing or rubbing! All that’s needed is two cotton wool pads (each split in two - one for each eye + two for my face), a little bit of normal water and this magic water. Place over the eye for just a few moments - don’t rub - just let it sit there, then watch your eye makeup dissolve right in front of your eyes (no pun intended!)!
This product is super soft, and suitable for people of all skin types, including for those with sensitive or irritable skin. Because it is so gentle and purifying, it can be used morning and night - in the morning to capture and draw out any excess oils, and at night as a makeup remover.
Of course I would definitely recommend cleansing and toning afterward - but this should be a given with every makeup remover product ever - including Bioderma - right?
So is the hype surrounding this product warranted? I do believe so. Some still swear by Bioderma, but place both in identical bottles, without labels, and I honestly would have no clue which is which. I have been using this product religiously ever since I got my hands on it (thank goodness that every second friend I have is travelling around Europe at the moment!), and I’m already worrying about what I’m going to do when it runs out… so L’Oreal - please, please, please release this in Australia!
Ps. I am aware this is one day late… but it’s still Wednesday somewhere in the world… right? (I had such a long day yesterday that I fell into a deep coma-like sleep as soon as I got home… sorry!
Pps. Don’t forget to enter the July Favourites giveaway!
So if you’ve been reading my blog for a few months now, you’d know full well that I am a little bit of a Violet Box fan! **See my Violet Box Unboxing for the June and July boxes ** While other sample box subscriptions have their on-and-off months, Violet Box seems to be going from strength to strength, and I find myself counting down the days until I am to receive my next box in the mail!
The latest development in Violet Box is that they have now opened the Violet Box Beauty Shop. The shop features some of the items that I have had the chance to sample including the Adorn Cosmetics loose eyeshadows and St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse as well as some products, like Butter London’s Nail Laquers and Alpha-H Liqud Gold that I sincerely hope are an indication of what is to feature in the coming months!
One of the products that I’ve got a keen eye on is the Catalina Geo Long & Deep Mascara. I have been using this ever since I got my hands on it through the July Violet Box - I am loving it so much that I’m already worrying about what will happen when I’m through with it (even though it does have a refill!), because this product is not easy to come by. This is one of a handful of products that Violet Box has spurred me on to purchase.
One advantage of purchasing from the Violet Box store is that you do earn Violet Points for purchasing from the store, which, if you are already collecting points from your 3-month, 6-month or yearly subscription and/or inviting your friends to Violet Box is extremely useful - who doesn’t like being rewarded just for shopping!?
Are you subscribed to Violet Box, or are you considering a subscription? Would you like to see in-depth recaps of how my Violet Box products are going? Let me know!
'Til next time,
Ps. Don’t forget to enter my July Favourites Giveaway to win some of my favourite hair, makeup and skincare products PLUS a $30 iTunes voucher!
Apart from technology, beauty is one of the fastest-moving industries as far as innovation goes. A couple of years ago, eyeshadows and blushes came only in pressed powder forms, and “lip products” meant lipsticks, lip balms or lipglosses. Today, we have eyeshadow crayons, cream blush, lip crayons and lip lacquers. So, what’s going to take the beauty world by storm next? Well, Beauty Buzz Wednesday is a new series that will drop on Wednesdays that I am putting together that will help to keep you informed about the ‘happenings’ of the fast-paced Beauty Industry!
Now, I don’t know about you, but I read a lot of beauty blogs. I love that I can pick up so many new tips and tricks, read up reviews on products I love (and see if others love them as much as I do!) or products I am thinking of trying. I also love that beauty blogs give me a heads up on product launches or new products. But, of course, with that comes many lustful thoughts about products not (or not yet) available in Australia. This series will touch on some of these overseas products that I have been lucky enough to get my hands on.
So you know when you try out a new beauty product, and you just can’t stop raving about it to all of your friends? This is what Beauty Buzz Wednesday is all about. This series is all about the things that are going on in the beauty industry - for example, new releases I’m excited about, up-and-coming brands or trends, products I have found that I believe are underrated… in short, if it’s new or innovative or not raved about enough… it could be talked about in Beauty Buzz Wednesday!
Is there a beauty product or brand that you can’t stop buzzing about? Let me know, coz I’d love to try out your suggestions!
Ps. Don’t forget to enter my July Favourites Giveaway to win some fabulous make up, hair and skin care products AND a $30 iTunes voucher!
Happy August! I don’t know about you, but I am soooo pleased that we’re already 2/3s of the way through winter, and that spring is just around the corner! Yay! But one of the good things about this past month is that I have been able to try out all sorts of new products, some of which have been included in my July Favourites list. Oh, and please keep reading, because if you do, you will have an opportunity to WIN a Favourites Pack, featuring some of my favourite items from July!
So, without any further ado… here are my July Favourites!
1. Formula 10.0.6 So Totally Clean Sensitive
So I don’t know about you, but I am lazy. I’m sorry, there’s just no other or nicer way to put it. When I’ve just had a long day at work, or a big night out, I want to crawl straight into bed. I don’t want to be standing over a sink, splashing water all over my face, and inevitably soaking my PJs through. Yet we all know how bad leaving makeup on overnight is for our skin. And that is exactly why this product is my #1 product for this month. All you need is a decent eye makeup remover to get rid of all of the your waterproof or longwearing eye makeup, then to use this product on a damp cotton pad to cleanse AND tone AT THE SAME TIME. This product is cucumber and sea kelp infused, which means it smells fresh and gives your face a wonderful cooling, refreshing, invigorating sensation. Because it is a sensitive formulation, it can be used in the eye area without any issues whatsoever.
Great product, eye-catching packaging, made in Australia. Totally recommended. **READ ON TO SEE HOW YOU CAN WIN THIS ITEM AS PART OF MY “FAVOURITES PACK” GIVEAWAY!**
2. Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Stick (002 Bulletproof Beige)
I believe that this is a product not yet released in Australia (If it is, I do stand corrected!). I purchased this shadow stick in June, and have been wearing these religiously in July. I LOVE shadow sticks, as they are a breeze to work with, and you can easily use them as eyeliner for your top or waterline too! Bulletproof Beige is an absolutely gorgeous shimmery champagne colour that is completely wearable for everyday. I simply pop it on my eyelids and use a finger to blend out the colour.
**READ ON TO SEE HOW YOU CAN WIN THIS ITEM AS PART OF MY “FAVOURITES PACK” GIVEAWAY!**
3. Maybelline Baby Lips, Love Color (Pink Lolita)
Anyone who has tried these products will know exactly why these are so raved about. For the longest time, I was a bit of a skeptic, but then I gave in - after all, how can you not give into anything that reminds you of those Lip Smackers everybody used to collect in primary school? They look simply adorable, fit into any clutch or purse you might have, offer great hydration to your lips, a light pinky tint of colour and a nice sugary sweet taste to boot. Simply beautiful, and an absolute must-have for every girl to wear on its own, or underneath a lipstick.
**READ ON TO SEE HOW YOU CAN WIN THIS ITEM AS PART OF MY “FAVOURITES PACK” GIVEAWAY!**
4. Batiste Dry Shampoo (Wild)
My love affair with dry shampoo has returned, ever since I had my weekend away in Sydney. Dry shampoo is so great, because it completely cuts out everything that I hate about washing my hair (aka the length of time and the amount of effort that it takes!). Of course this doesn’t replace washing your hair altogether, but it gives you an extra day of not needing to wash your hair, and it does give it volume and style-ability too! Plus, they come in all fabulous designs in different sizes, so they are perfect for traveling (50mL), to use for your home (200mL) or for your mum and sister to share (400mL)!
**READ ON TO SEE HOW YOU CAN WIN THIS ITEM AS PART OF MY “FAVOURITES PACK” GIVEAWAY!**
5. Hollister Addison Eau de Parfum
This is a purchase I made in July, and have fallen in love with straight away. This has got the most heavenly scent - a gorgeous mix of peach, peony and sunshine musk (no I’m not that good at describing scents, I took that off the Hollister website) - that you have just GOT to smell. If you do manage to get to a Hollister store to smell it, you will know what I smell like, as I have been wearing this every day since I got my hands on it. Its packaging is simply adorable too!
Aaaand now for some non-beauty favourites from this month…
6. Salted Butter Popcorn Zumbarons by Adriano Zumbo
If you’re a fan of buttered popcorn and macarons, you will LOVE these creations by Adriano Zumbo. If you’re lucky enough to live in or visit Sydney, make your way down to one of this guy (he is the
gorgeous dude from Masterchef who is responsible for some epic creations like the croquembouche and the V8 cake (which has now apparently been upgraded to the V9 cake, so I’ve been told!). Also try his Zonuts (what happens when a croissant and a donut have a lovechild) - but get there early, as they do sell out before the end of the day (I found that out the hard way! *sobs*)!
7. Michael Kors “Selma” Tote
Hi everybody - I want you to meet somebody very special; the love of my life… my Michael Kors bag. I’ve been eyeing it off for months on the internet, and have been keeping such close tabs on it arriving in stores that I got a friend who works at David Jones to give me a call as soon as it arrived in store. And he did. And now I have it! It is the absolute perfect corporate handbag that looks close-ish to the Prada Saffiano tote but every second person doesn’t have it, and also without the hefty price tag.
8. Royals - Lorde
Now, for my favourite song of the month - “Royals” by Lorde. Totally fitting, considering the birth of the newest addition to the royal family! In addition to the beauty products you will win as part of my July Favourites Pack Giveaway, you will also receive a $30 iTunes gift card!
"READ MORE" TO SEE HOW YOU CAN BE IN THE RUNNING TO WIN THESE FANTASTIC ITEMS!
… at the very very very very end of July I know. So sorry! I received this box about a week and a bit ago, but till now haven’t had the chance to write and photograph my box… so please accept my apologies, but be happy that you get two Wantable Box Unboxings in two days!
So… moving on to my July box! Having learnt to be more specific in my survey, I felt much, much happier with this box. Rather than feeling indifferent about certain products as I was with the June box, I am super happy with everything that I received, and am likely to put everything to good use. So what did I receive?
- MiA BellZZa Tanning Powder (Warm Tan)
- Besame Lipstick (C204 Carmine) (!!!OMGGGG!!!)
- Cala Retractable Blush Brush
- Michael Marcus Polish (Relaxing by the Pool)
- Face of Stockholm Cream Highlighter
- PLUS Frownies Eye Gels
1. MiA BelleZZa Tanning Powder
This product first “wowed” me because of its packaging. I love bronzers that come in a nice secure packaging. This one even comes with a handy brush and holes at the bottom of the compact so that after you’re done with the brush, you can put back in its place, and be sure that the powder won’t just sit at the bottom of the compact - the only problem is that the only thing worse than powder getting all over the compact is getting powder all over your purse! If this product does end up in a hand bag, I will be sure to give the brush a through clean before putting it back in its place. The powder itself is a lovely matte terracotta brown, which I believe will suit my skin tone very well. I like that it is matte, which is something my current bronzers aren’t - thank you Wantable for giving me something that I actually need, and not just want!
2. Besame Lipstick (204 Carmine)
I swear to you, when I pulled this gorgeous red box out of my Wantable box, my heart skipped a beat. Then it beat very quickly when I pulled it out of its velvet bag - a gorgeous touch, by the way! - and saw this stunning vintage-inspired golden tube. This product is actually STUNNING, and I have to admit, I am a little scared to use it because of how gorgeous it looks. Carmine is a beautiful natural orange-y red that I am sure I will looooove taking out of my bag. It’s a total feel-good product - whenever I am having a difficult day, I will be pulling this out of my purse and applying it - it will make it feel better just because it is so amazing!
3. Cala Retractable Blush Brush
You know how I mentioned before that Wantable has been giving me products that I need, and not just those that I want? This is another of those. Whilst this brush isn’t the most incredible thing I’ve ever felt - it is dense yet small enough to fit inside a purse, no problems. It winds down to just a bit bigger than your average lip stick, but smaller than your average lipgloss. I can see this coming in handy very often.
4. Michael Marcus Polish (Relaxing by the Pool)
Now this is a bold colour. Appropriately named, it’s the kind of blue that does remind you of the deep blue tiles at the bottom of a swimming pool. It’s not a colour I’ll be jumping up and down to wear, because even though it’s BRIGHT, it’s a rather dark blue. The only darker shades I wear are in red, and I believe blue might just be a little too much for me… but who knows, one day I may just wake up on the other side of the bed and decide that Relaxing by the Pool is a great idea!
5. Face of Stockholm Cream Highlighter
Another product I actually will use because I don’t have any other at the moment - cream highlighter! I was rather excited when I popped this open and discovered what it was. I am not the best at highlighting and contouring, but with the right tools and a bit of playing around, I hope that I will get the hang of it soon!
6. BONUS Frownies Eye Gels
To be honest, I haven’t tried any sort of eye gels, nor am I big on the whole facemask / facial thing. I just get freaked out when I imagine anyone - and myself - wearing any type of mask (be it for beauty purposes or otherwise!) But for whatever reason, I actually am feeling a bit keen to try this one out. It says that there is a 5-7 week supply, which sounds too good to be true, but upon closer read of the fineprint, that is only if you have the Frownies Rosewater Hydrator Spray, which this sample did not come with. Regardless, I will get a few uses out of this that will allow me to decide whether I will be trying any more of these products out!
Overall, I am extremely pleased with my July box. I am super stoked that not only do I like all of the items, but I believe that I will be using all of them - some of them even on a day-to-day basis.
For $45 a box (including shipping), it’s not cheapest box going around, but I believe that if you answer the quiz properly, you will be happy with the products that you get!
What do you think? Do you currently subscribe to Wantable, or any sample boxes? Would you consider Wantable?
Yes - you read that correctly… and no, unfortunately I didn’t make a silly typo… yes, this is my JUNE 2013 Wantable Box Unboxing Post. Why June? Because I’ve just had such a busy month, this is the first time I have been able to sit down, write and photograph this post! And yes, that does mean that the July Wantable Box will be late *weeps*, but luckily only by one day… it’s all written up, photographed and will be appearing on here TOMORROW… so stay tuned! :-).
Before I show you what’s inside my box, let me first tell you a little about Wantable - just in case you’re not familiar (and if you are, just scroll down a little further ;P). Wantable boxes are at the pricer end of the scale. This box is costing me $36 plus $9 for postage and handling. I have an ongoing subscription, but I can cancel at any time. For a one off box, I believe that it is $40, plus the $9 shipping fee.
So why pay more for a sample box, when others, such as Bellabox are far less costly? Well, this isn’t actually a sample box at all. It is literally a makeup box, as you get five FULL SIZED products, PLUS one bonus duluxe sample. And this isn’t a standard box at all - each box is carefully picked to match the preferences that you have specified before you place your order. To check out the survey, click here - you will find that it is completely in depth, so you know - if you answer it properly (read on to see what happens when you don’t…) - that you will get products that you need and want. So that’s how Wantable works!
And so now, without any further ado…
- Manna Kadar Lipgloss (109 Watermelon)
- Manna Kadar Eyeshadow (424 Ravish)
- Be a… Bombshell Eyeliner (Espresso)
- 3 Custom Color Specialists Cheek Tint (Simply Beautiful)
- Rainbow Honey Custom Blended Nail Lacquer (Fire Spring)
- PLUS Apothederm Firming Serum AND $25 Gift Card
1. Manna Kadar Lipgloss (109 Watermelon)
I’ve got to admit, I’m a bit of a lipgloss junkie. I have been, ever since year 6, when my mum finally allowed me to play with some of the makeup she brought home from work (she worked at L’Oreal at the time). BUT I was only allowed to wear the lipgloss, and it had to be clear. So I was quite happy to add another lipgloss to my collection thanks to Wantable! Watermelon is an orange-y tinged gloss. It’s a bit thicker in consistency than I like, and the doe foot applicator isn’t the best I’ve ever used. It took a few goes back into the tube to adequately cover my lips. On the upside, the scent is quite pleasant - I’m terrible at identifying scents, but I *think* it reminds me of coffee! Please note, I’m not a coffee drinker at all… so I could be very wrong!
2. Manna Kadar Eyeshadow (424 Ravish)
This eyeshadow came in a cute little eyeshadow pot and looks a pretty pale purple with a dusting of sparkle through it. When swatched, I found that the shadow was actually quite matte, and that the glitter particles were just over the top layer of the pressed powder. I think this is a very wearable purple eyeshadow, even though I more often than not stick with natural colours on my eyelids.
3. Be a… Bombshell Eyeliner (Espresso)
When it comes to liquid eyeliners, I am extremely picky. See, here is my go-to liquid eyeliner - the Face It Extreme Brush Pen (left) vs. the Be a… Bombshell Eyeliner (right) I received from my Wantable box. I like to consider myself decent with liquid liner, however the pen has to be of certain specifications. The Bombshell pen, unfortunately, is waaaaaay too big. I do find it difficult to grip a pen with such a thick diameter, which is a pity, because I wouldn’t have minded a nice brown liner. A piece of advice when it comes to using this - don’t sniff it - it smells like rather off permanent marker. On the plus side, this pen gives me a little bit of nostalgia - to when I was in primary school and I used to have those huge textas!
4. Three Custom Color Specialists Cheek Tint (Simply Beautiful)
This is a very natural subtle cheek tint shade, that comes in a cute little compact style case with a mirror. It’s great because you don’t need a brush at all, so it really is absolutely perfect for anytime, anywhere touch ups! The colour is super, super sheer and so this product definitely needs to be built up.
5. Rainbow Honey Custom Blended Nail Lacquer (Fire Spring)
I’ve heard many great things about Rainbow Honey nail polishes, so I was super excited to open my box and find this product! It’s in a super glittery, bright orange, which I’ve got to admit isn’t my thing at all. But it will make a great fun-night-out colour to have. The consistency is not too thick nor is it too watery, which makes me excited to try it - when I feel like sporting glitter galore on my fingers! But with job interviews and such coming up, it’s probably best to avoid this particular shade for just a little while.
6. BONUS Apohederm Firming Serum + $25 Gift Card
In every box, Wantable adds just a little something extra to their boxesin the form of a duluxe sample. This time, the special addition is this firming serum that has (I quote) - "94% of participants reporting firmer skin in 14 days" and "84% reporting a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in 14 days." which is all well and good, I guess, but neither is a big concern for me at this point in time! I will pass this onto my mother, but since she is not a big skincare buyer, if anybody is an Apothederm fan and would like to use my $25 gift card (you only need the code), please feel free to leave a comment in my ask box or drop me an email, and I will be sure to have it passed onto you!
All in all, I was okay with this box. For $45 a month, to receive five items that an average RRP of about $15 each - I’m relatively happy. Though not everything is 100% to my liking, I have to give it to Wantable - they followed the instructions I gave them in my survey to a tee, so really, I’ve got nothing at all to complain about. My tip for when you answer the survey: be specific. Either “love” or “dislike” the items, and you will ONLY receive the items that you “love.”
Stay tuned tomorrow for my July Unboxing!
'Till next time,
I’ve had a bit of an exciting week (on Instagram and otherwise!), which has involved the sunshine, warm weather, Manchester United, macarons and Michael Kors! So without further ado, here is my week on Instagram!
Last Friday, my brother and I left cold, winter-y Melbourne for Sydney. It was almost midnight when we finally arrived, but we woke up to this:
and took artistic photos like this:
and tourist-y photos like this:
As well as meeting the legendary (former Manchester United footballer) Paddy Crerand, we also had the pleasure of watching Manchester United putting on a class act against the A-League All-Stars, beating them 5-1 at the ANZ Stadium.
The rest of the trip was fabulous too… we did something that I would never have thought to do in the middle of a Melbournian winter - go to the beach! We spent our Monday morning down at the glorious Bondi Beach, which looks exactly like it does on Bondi Rescue, except you can actually see the sand during winter!
We arrived back home on Monday night, but not empty handed…
ZUMBARONS! Absolutely. Delicious. The salted butter popcorn is to die for. I am gutted that my absolutely favourite macarons at Laduree costed a hefty $3.50 each, but these Zumbarons (at $2.50 each) were a good consolation.
So that was the end of my Sydney trip, but not the end of the spending for the week, as yesterday I got my hands on these beauties…
Michael Kors’ Selma satchels. One for me, one for my best friend. They are absolutely glorious, and I can’t wait until I can use it! (… But I can’t right now, as I have spent waaaaay too much recently, and my mother would give me the stern eye if she saw it…)
If you would like to keep up to date with my photographic adventures, you may follow me on my Instagram, @mjmcha11!
Do you like hearing about my personal adventures? I’d love to hear your thoughts on my blog, so please feel free to leave a comment below, or leave any constructive criticisms (or nice words!) in the ask box!